THE INCEPTION OF THE LANGUAGE CENTER
In 1970’s, the Directorate General of Higher Education (Dikti) established several Language Centers in Indonesia, including the Language Center of Institute of Teacher Training and Pedagogy (IKIP) Bandung. Since the establishment, the Language Center of IKIP Bandung has been managed by some faculty members of the University, namely:
|1.||Prof. Dr. Jusuf Amir Feisal||1971-1979|
|2.||Drs. H. Mundari Muhada, Dipl. TEFL||1979-1981|
|3.||Drs. H. Mustafa Kamal, Dipl. TEFL||1981-1991|
|4.||Prof. Drs. H. Ilyas Purakusumah||1991-1993|
|5.||Prof. Dr. Chaedar Alwasilah, M.A.||1993-1996|
|6.||Prof. Dr. Yoyo Mulyana, M.Pd.||1996-1997|
|7.||Prof. Dr. Nenden Sri Lengkanawati, M.Pd.||1997-2005|
|8.||Prof. Dr. Didi Sukyadi, M.A.||2005-2011|
|9.||Dr. Wachyu Sundayana, M.A.||2011-now|
In accordance with the conversion of IKIP Banding into the Indonesian University of Education (UPI) in 1999 and UPI as an autonomous public university in 2004, the name of IKIP Bandung Language Center was also changed to The Language Center of UPI. The status of UPI Language Center is a Technical Unit (UPT) of UPI whose management is under the Deputy for Academic Affairs.
The Language Center of UPI aims to be a center of excellence for language studies and services both nationally and internationally.
- To provide training of national and foreign languages.
- To study language and language instruction.
- To disseminate information and publication on language studies and language teaching.
- To improve the quality of teaching and learning continuously.
- To widen networks with other institutions both at the national and international levels.
THE FUNCTIONS OF THE LANGUAGE CENTER
- Providing training of the national language or BIPA (Indonesian for Non-native Speakers) or foreign languages for faculty members, administrative staff, students, international students, expatriates, and the general public.
- Developing materials, methods, and teaching media for the teaching of national and foreign languages.
- Undertaking research and development in the field of teaching and learning of both national and foreign languages through coordination with departments in UPI.
- Translating textbooks and other materials from foreign languages to Indonesian or vice versa.
- Administering standardized language testing whether by developing instruments or by cooperating with other institutions.